DENTAL IMPLANTS: A permanent tooth replacement to consider.
Implants are devices that replace the roots of missing teeth. They are used to support Crowns, Bridges or Dentures.
Implants are surgically placed in your jaw bone. Most of the time, implants feel more natural and secure than any other methods of replacing missing teeth, such as removable dentures.
Why it's important to replace missing teeth ?
1) Having all your teeth in the mouth makes you more self confident.
2) When teeth are lost, the jaw bone that held the teeth starts to dissolve. Implants help to preserve the jaw bone and shape of your jaw.
3) Tooth loss affects your mastication or chewing and what foods you are able to eat. Some people who have missing teeth have poor nutrition, which could affect overall health.
Raw fruits & Vegetables require more chewing.
4) The loss of teeth can change your bite & it can lead to problems in the jaw joint due to the pressure.
5) Losing teeth can lead to incoherent speech
Other indirect benefits of Implants include:
FEEL - Because Implants are embedded in the jaw bone ,they feel more like your natural teeth than dentures .
CONVENIENCE - You don't have to worry about denture adhesive or having your denture slip or fall out when you speak .
NUTRITION - You will be able to chew better with Implants. Chewing can be difficult with regular dentures, especially ones that don't fit perfectly.
A regular upper denture covers your palate , which can alter the taste buds.
SELF ESTEEM - Because Implants are like natural teeth, your confidence will be improved because you will not have to worry about regular denture problems.
The key to the success of all implants is a process called Osseointegration. That is bone in the jaw grows in to & around the implants.
Titanium is a noble metal that jaw bone accepts as part of the body.
ORAL CARE TIPS FOR IMPLANTS
Most dental implants are successful and there are few steps you can take to help ensure success and make your implants last longer.
1) Practice good oral Hygiene
Brush twice a day & floss once daily, using interdental brushes can help clean the hard to reach surfaces around your implants.
2) Quit smoking
Smoking can weaken the bone & can contribute to implants failure .
3) Visit your dentist regularly
Scaling every 6 months can help ensure your implant is in good condition.
4) Avoid chewing on hard foods
Don't chew on hard items such as bones, ice and hard candy which can break the crown & natural teeth .
SUCCESS RATE OF DENTAL IMPLANTS
Dental implants success rate can depend on where the missing teeth are located. But the average success rate is more than 95% .
Certain people may not be fit for the procedure, such as chain smokers & people with chronic uncontrollable diabetes.
Dr; Sumedha Nandakumar